DPPI SEE is designed to serve the interests of its member countries and to this end aims to fulfill the necessity for a broader, multi-level and multi-dimensional cooperation between the member countries at every stage of the disaster risk management process so as to enable the countries to face disasters more effectively and bring the SEE to full cooperation with the EU Civil Protection Mechanism (CPM). Furthermore, the diversity of membership within DPPI SEE (EU member, candidate, potential candidate countries) represents an ‘’added value’’ to comprehensive regional cooperation.
The overarching goal of the DPPI SEE is to foster regional cooperation and coordination in disaster preparedness and prevention for natural and man-made disasters in South Eastern Europe, without creating new structures or layers of bureaucracy.
The DPPI SEE attempts to:
- Strengthen good neighborly relations and stability through the exchange of information, lessons learnt and best practices in the field of disaster management
- Enhance cooperation between DPPI SEE Parties in view of the EU enlargement and the process of Euro – Atlantic integration for SEE countries.
- Support and encourage countries in the region to develop, adopt and/or enforce state-of-the-art disaster emergency legislation, environmental regulations and codes designed to prevent and mitigate disasters in line with guidelines and common practices accepted in the international community.
- Assist and encourage countries in the region to implement the Hyogo Framework for Action 2005 – 2015.
- Facilitate and encourage networking and coordination between SEE National emergency management authorities and other stakeholders and experts in the area of DRR via DPPI SEE to ensure and accelerate the strengthening of their capacities in preparedness for all kinds of disasters, mainly through capacity building on DRR by identifying key issues, exchange of experiences and good practices through trainings and other projects activities.